I am a newbie to this forum and to PV in general. Just had my system setup and trying to fully understand how to manage it.
I am located in the Caribbean where i get about 5 sun peak hrs/day (930am - 2:30pm).
Additionally, i asked a company to design a system that would give me about 150Kwh/mth (40% of total consumption).
This is what they sold me:
5x 230W Canadian Solar 24V panels (7.78A/29V ea) in parallel
8 x 6V/225Ah US-225 Ah connected as 24V system -- total 450 Ah
1 x TS-60 Tri Star Morning Star Charge Controller
1 x Samlex 3000W 24V inverter
1 x Gentran 30A Automatic transfer switch with 6 circuits pre-wired.
Here are my concerns/questions:
1) My charge controller never reads above 29A though 5 panels in parallel should be giving me 7.78A/panel x 5 panels = 38A. Why is my total current so low?
Panels are mounted facing south with an inclination of about 22o.
2) In a given day i collect 140 -180Ah depending on weather conditions. Isnt this low based on the specs of the panel?
3) My battery voltage went as high as 29.5V one day. Problem is, i am not sure when i am at 50% discharge hence when to switch over to o my utility company. Do i look for a particular voltage? For now, i am using 24.2V but not sure if this is too high or low.
4) Does my battery bank of 450Ah match the output from the panels? If not, what should i change?
5) For now, i am running my refrigerator and Office from the system, a total of 380VA/260W (reading from my kill-a-watt). For how many hours should i run these before 50% discharge?
6) I am thinking of upgrading my system before Christmas to produce 220Kwh/mth, up from 150Kwh. How many more panels and batteries would i need?
I will stop there for now but would appreciate detailed answers/comments to my questions. I am continuously reading the articles online to find some answers in the interim.